11 February 2015

Warm Winter

Our friend Peter stopped by with sweet stuff from his Christmas in Europe. I liked the cookie butter.
My brother compiled a mix album for the Kelsey family years back called, "Warm Winter." I think it's time for a sequel. In the anticipation-filled days of Novembers, rumors were it was "going to be a cold one." Among a-hoodie-is-all-you-need days and lots of sunshine, I'm still waiting for a big ice storm. As long as I've got food, I'm good with that. It's kind of something to look forward to in the in-between month. I admit, February was never my favorite. To me, it was the time when nothing was growing yet, and filled with lots of grey days and grey moods to match. After a few grey days this year in January, I was begging a friend to bum a few B vitamins. Luckily, the sun came back out just in time for my birthday.


My parents' gifts really made the day. Also, Josie gave me $1. I told her I would buy myself a treat.



Whatever you do, no colored gelatin!
  A messy kitchen makes for happy tummies.

I finally organized the measuring cups and spoons.

I also added that little corner shelf on the left to our odd but wonderful kitchen.

Simon is getting to be a reader.





These long-fermented sourdough biscuits were terrific. And they worked great in the cast iron pans.
This winter, we have had a good handful of homeschool group park days and library days when it was too chilly or wet. We started back with school on Martin Luther King Day. For three and a half weeks, we did pretty well. I changed it up so that each kid would come in my room for their school time, with the door shut for no distractions. This way, I also got one-on-one time with each one. I'm pretty good at enacting a new plan for about three and half weeks. Today, we skipped it and squeezed in the library early. The kids are mostly just playing (and fighting with each other:) for the rest of the day.


Add caption






Spur of the moment Valentine crafting in which I didn't have to orchestrate anything

Doge


We walked to the cemetery. It was lovely on Sunday afternoon.
 I love to take the kids to SCRAP, a creative reuse center that is only 1.1 miles away. People donate craft items that may otherwise be thrown away. If you want to do a project, you can buy just about anything for not very much. The kids can spend 25 cents on seashell or some such item. It satisfies my need to see junk organized and to know there's a place where people can go to get things, without it being at my house!
The donation area shares space with a bike repair nonprofit.

bottle cap searching




a party where everyone is invited

4 comments:

deargoodness said...

I love your red skirt, and that SCRAP place looks so cool! Also, it is crazy to me that Simon is taller than Josie (at least, it looks that way in one of the pictures). Your kids can't grow up while I'm not there to witness it.

Juli said...

I got that skirt at my favorite thrift store here for like $3. It's a long forgotten brand, 100% linen. I think I'm gonna wear it every day this summer! Yes, you would love SCRAP. It's my personal local equivalent of a children's museum- "a place for everything and everything in its place." We miss you! And yes, Simon is level or taller than Josie.

Becca said...

I am totally copying your measuring cups and spoons organization! And I also totally love the red skirt, and am TOTALLY JEALOUS/ENAMORED WITH that place called Scraps. How did you find such a treat?

Juli said...

Thanks for all the love, Becca! Make sure you use hooks that will not allow your measuring cups to fly out and break on the floor when you open the cupboard faster than you think you do.